Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Why?

I left my job last month because it felt right. I did not battle with myself over that decision but I had to deal with the fact that I had no job(s) lined up for me to start and I was leaving this one that pays me every month for doing virtually nothing. God will provide, I said to myself. At the back of my head, I couldn't help but wonder whether I was being stupid, careless and ungrateful to God, after all, I did not have a job when I started this one and I was leaving with nothing to go to. A friend told me as much and I am sure others have thought the same. So what? if the pay was lousy and I had to scrape in other to save; what?, if the working environment was making me sick; literacy and figuratively; what?, if I found the work boring and unfulfilling and I felt useless; what? if the hours were long and totally unrewarding? Other people are probably going through the same things or even worse. Why did I feel I had to quit? There was no justification except for selfish reasons. These were the thoughts that ran in my head. But then, something happened that made me know that I had made the right decision.
I was in the lavatory, when like a vision, a screen unfolded before me; in it, the owner of the company was having a conversation with  the branch manager, the secretary and the HR manager, I did not hear the words of the conversation but I felt at that moment that I was exactly where I was supposed to be and that screen will take place under different circumstances. In that future event, I will be part of the group and I was not myself as I am now; I was this timid person who could not dare venture an opinion. It felt right at that moment that I was leaving the company, and this was a week to my last day working there. It felt that I am meant to leave in order to be different from this timid person I would be. I know, this does not make sense.
So I am currently out of a job and job hunting, but that will be a topic for another post. Right now, I am being plagued by thoughts of doubt that I may have made a wrong decision; I may not get a job any time soon, if at all; I may have to settle for something, anything, so I can have money in my bank account. I can't going asking my sisters or friends for money, not when I feel they will be thinking that I left a paying job to sit at home. I am trusting God that I will be working in July; I keep telling myself and everyone that even though I am yet to hear from any of the companies I have interviewed at, but that is the essence of faith, right? that [Now] faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

No comments:

Post a Comment